Kale, Swiss chard, lettuce. The greens haven’t let up. While the rest of the country swelters, Maine is enjoying relatively temperate weather with warm days and coolish nights. We haven’t even installed the attic fan yet, which is all the little house in the big woods needs to cool down on the hottest days. I expect we’ll be installing it soon, but usually by the first of July, it is up and running at night.
I’m guessing this weather encourages those greens to grow rather than bolt. Therefore, this week I am posting yet another recipe using greens—a Greek veggie burger, which can use any or all of the greens that make up the holy trinity—spinach, Swiss chard, and kale. You could even throw in a pinch of arugula to spice things up a little.
I made these burgers for the first time last night. We took everything to the patio, and Clif fried the burgers on the grill in a big cast-iron pan. (A skillet on the stove would work just fine.) With the burgers we had homemade bread and grapes. We ate on the patio and watched dusk settle over the backyard. Hummingbirds buzzed their little red feeder. A pair of cardinals, bright in the falling light, came to the big brown feeder. In the woods, frogs called to each other.
This recipe makes four burgers. I am a little embarrassed to admit that by the end of the evening, none were left. And best of all, one whole bag of Swiss chard was gone—poof!—just like that.
A note about the herbs in this recipe: I used fresh herbs from my garden: A mixture of basil, sage, parsley, and oregano. I used about 1/4 cup of chopped herbs, but I think 1/2 cup wouldn’t be too much. In the winter, I would use a teaspoon or two of dried herbs, probably oregano and thyme and maybe a little sage.
Greek Veggie Burger
Makes 4 patties
- 5 cups loosely packed greens—kale, spinach, or Swiss chard—coarsely chopped
- 2 cups of bread crumbs made from fresh bread torn in small pieces
- 1/2 cup of crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup of olive oil, 2 tablespoons for sautéing the greens and 2 for the herb, bread-crumb mixture. (You will need additional oil for frying the patties.)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4 cup of minced, mixed fresh herbs—sage, basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, rosemary
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sauté the garlic for 30 seconds, add the greens, and sauté until the greens are wilted—2 or 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the 2 tablespoons of oil, the herbs, and the salt and pepper. Add the bread and stir so that it is coated. Stir in the beaten eggs. Add the greens and crumbled feta. Mix well.
- Shape into patties and heat 2 or 3 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. Fry for 5 minutes on each side.